Old 21-03-2010, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Citruus tree advert

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
There's an advert in the Radio Times for "perfect orange and lemon
trees that will thrive and grow like crazy in your garden here in UK".
It says they will survive "severe frosts down to -5 C or you pay
nothing."

-5 Celsius is a severe frost? Oh, get real!

Not having a greenhouse or conservatory I've never had a lemon tree.
Any opinions? Any advice? Has anyone grown these? I'm quite tempted,
but it seems too good to be true.

Don't bother, unless you are in a very warm part of the country.
They are reasonably tough, but critically need winter protection
almost everywhere in the UK. It's the combination of cold and wet
that kills them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.