Old 21-03-2010, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Citruus tree advert

"Pam Moore" wrote
There's an advert in the Radio Times for "perfect orange and lemon
trees that will thrive and grow like crazy in your garden here in UK".
It says they will survive "severe frosts down to -5 C or you pay
nothing."
They call them "Navelina Orange" and "Eureka lemon".
The company is GardenBargains.com

Not having a greenhouse or conservatory I've never had a lemon tree.
Any opinions? Any advice? Has anyone grown these? I'm quite tempted,
but it seems too good to be true.
I see other firms are selling Eureka lemon. Dobies want nearly £50.
This firm ask £29.99.

We grow a number of citrus trees but they all spend the winter frost free in
our unheated garage that is attached to our house and has a twin walled
clear plastic roof and our heated greenhouse on the end.
They are now outside against the S. facing wall enjoying today's sun after
yesterdays rain. If a frost is forecast then I will drag them back into the
garage for the night.
A neighbour left his large lemon tree out last winter 2008/9 against their
S. facing wall and it suffered terribly from frost/wind damage and has still
not fully recovered.
Do I believe what they say in their adverts? In a word, No.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden