Old 21-03-2010, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Grateful for shrub ideas

On 2010-03-20 20:32:53 +0000, rbel said:

We removed some very elderly shrubs and some rather sick large
escallonias
last autumn from some metre plus wide borders and would be grateful
for
suggestions as to what to replace them with. Preferably evergreen,
flowering or just attractive foliage and shape.

How good is bay (Lauris nobilis) at growing near the sea? All of
the above, plus useful, though its flowers are short-lived and not
spectacular.

At our previous place, where the sea was just the other side of the road,
we had an inherited bay that was probably over 3 metres tall but apart
from occasional raid for culinary use it was not a favourite shrub.

--
rbel