Old 21-03-2010, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper pied piper is offline

Default Lazy lawn spiker

totally defeating the object the ride on causes more compaction than u are
relieving
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
This weekend I have at last got around to doing something I have been
meaning to try for years. We had an old lawn spiker out in the shed that
belonged to my wife's father, I have tried using it but its bloody hard
work, and the lawns here are pretty big but separately in need of
aerating.

Yesterday was wet and miserable so I disappeared into the workshop with
the old spiker and dug out my Whitworth spanners (that's how old it is) A
couple of hours and a couple of bits of scrap steel later I had a bracket
welded up to mount the spiker on the back of the ride on mower.

http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10688

I have put it to the test today by spiking all the lawns and it works
really well.

I think the neighbours wondered what I was up to though. Trundling up and
down for an hour on what probably looked like a lawn mower without the
blades running!

Mike