Old 22-03-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave_s Dave_s is offline

Default Planting time - SoCAL -tomatoes

David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:00 PM, Dave_s wrote:
Thank for info about conditions so near to my home in Panorama City.

Ok, I'm going to buy some tomato plants tomorrow.
Probably start with Brandwine and Glacier.
Are there any tomatoes varieties which grow well in your US101 local
that might also do well in my location? I usually grow tomatoes both in
pots and some in the ground also. Prefer full size rather than Cherry
size tomato.

My neighbor likes 'Ace' and 'Celebrity'.

For home gardens, you want an indeterminate variety. That means the
tomatoes don't ripen all at once. For efficient farming, commercial
varieties are usually determinate, ripening all at the same time.

'Many Many Thanks' to everyone who responded.

for the words of CAUTION regarding the 'FREE/SAFE(?) city COMPOST' for
use with 'food crops'. I'll quizz the city about those details.

Tomato variety and ripen info also very helpful.

Dave_s