Old 22-03-2010, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry)

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating
having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a
better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper
than
that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little
support.

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed.
A bottle jack
A couple of old wood turned spindles
Some mdf cut for a pressure board

An old drum to take the apple cake
What does an old drum mean?

I took it to mean a 'bang bang' type drum. I assume it is a wooden with
the
skin taken off.

If it is metal I guess the joker would've been aware of rust etc.

I am using a plastic bucket.

rob

OK, I just wanted to voice my concerns.
The plastic bucket, is it food grade plastic? It is probably more of a
concern for fermenters, but you may want to consider it.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Yes. Its HDPE which is a recyclable 2. That was free. My press plates are
also food grade, being 2 old plastic chopping boards that I got from second
hand shops for 50c each and cut down. My 'turkey baking tray' is a food
grade steel waiters tray that I also got for 50c. I will have to cut a
'nodge' in it.

My 3 spindles are not food grade but they also cost a dollar or 2 from
second hand shops. I am going to try and borrow a bottle jack from a
neighbour. If I can't locate one it'll be the scissor jack. I ain't spending
$40 on a brand new bottle jack. The wooden frame I used last year may do the
job again. I'll inspect it next weekend. Might need to laminate my top &
bottom plates. If not, I'll go and get some scrap lengths of timber and
bodge up a sturdy frame. Likely $5 to $10 for all the wood, nails, screws
etc. I'll try and keep costs down by salvaging some of the screws & mails
from my old frame if I need to build a new one.

That should suffice.

Rob