Old 22-03-2010, 08:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry)

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:44:51 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating
having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a
better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper
than
that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears
are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little
support.

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed.
A bottle jack
A couple of old wood turned spindles
Some mdf cut for a pressure board

An old drum to take the apple cake
What does an old drum mean?

I took it to mean a 'bang bang' type drum. I assume it is a wooden with
the
skin taken off.

If it is metal I guess the joker would've been aware of rust etc.

I am using a plastic bucket.

rob

OK, I just wanted to voice my concerns.
The plastic bucket, is it food grade plastic? It is probably more of a
concern for fermenters, but you may want to consider it.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Man, the guy drinks cooking sherry....a little plastic leachate likely
ain't gonna hurt 'im one bit.

If I could buy cooking sherry from a second hand shop, that'd be grand.

rob