Old 22-03-2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

Default Lily Pond Open

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:11:59 EDT, "Pat" wrote:

I am in NW Oregon. I turned my pump on a couple of weeks ago and checked
for freeze damage. Then I turned it off again. Maybe I'll turn it on
this
weekend. Can't see any fish. Water is murky from spawning.

Wow, spawning already? Goldfish or koi? What is your water temp?

I'd say start doing water changes. I do them were I have it going it at
one
end out the other over a long period of time. Yesterday I did it over an
hour in the lily pond (dechlor used) sure cleared it up. Probably did a
30%
change in that hour at least. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

My main pond holds 24,000 gallons. A water change takes a week or so. A
big problem is finding a place to put the water. I need summer and a dry
lawn that needs water. Filling it takes three days. In the summer when the
pump and filters are running I lose a few inches of water a week and top up
regularly. I also remove a hundred gallons of water a day from the bottom
drain. The catfish can also turn the water murky by rooting in the plant
dirt.