View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 22-03-2010, 11:43 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Hey there everybody, im new to the forum, im only 13 years old and descided to buy myself a cactus. I have had 1 before but when I was like 7, that was under my mums control and now is too dead for me to recover un-expierienced. But anyway, back to the fresh new one!

I have a few questions, if you can help answer 1 of them it would be perfect!

1. How often should I be watering mine, ive been doing a tiny bit onto its dish around twice a week and it sucks it all up!

2. When should I be re-potting mine? Mines only a small cactus (Not tiny, But about a little over half of a full sized ruler.

3. How can I make soil for my cactus? Ive been reading that the ones in garden centres arnt as good as making your own. Id kind of like a simplish way of doing it!

Thanks a lot! Will hope to be getting a few more cacti when I know im a perfect owner of one!

Hayden
In general, you need to hardly water them at all in the darker months, just a little bit if they are looking very thirsty. Start watering about now, and reduce watering in about October. Water them weekly in the lighter months, though they should survive a bit of neglect. In the earlier period of the lighter months, you can feed them using ordinary liquid plant food diluted with twice as much water (or half th enumber of drops) it suggests on the bottle.

Though if you have a winter-flowering cactus like "Christmas Cactus", epicactus and the like, you will need to find out a specific regime for it.

Some cactus can be, would welcome being, put outside in summer, say, June to mid-September. My mother grew one about 5 feet tall like that!

I'd avoid repotting it if you can. I've lost them like that...

The most important factor in growing cactus is giving them good light. In poor light, they can grow quickly seeking the light, but what you get is a weak, hollow cactus that then collapses and goes rotten.