Old 22-03-2010, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Companion Planting

wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
New Horizon are highly recommended, though:
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...ookie_test= 1
(but more expensive)

Thanks for that, the local garden centre stocks
'Westland' range. Later I'll google and see if they
do
a peat-free version.

I'll check what ours are next time I go outside, but
we got them delivered
(which was included in the price)

Thanks for that. I've been mulling over the reasons why
the bags produce a heavier crop. Ignoring the
possibility of nematode damage, the big advantage of
bags, is the fact that you are concentrating both
moisture and feed. Planting in the soil might mean that
the feed gets washed away.
In addition to 3 tomato plants, I also grew 2 cucumber
plants and these also did better in growbags.