Old 23-03-2010, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry)

"George" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating
having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a
better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper
than
that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears
are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little
support.

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed.
A bottle jack
A couple of old wood turned spindles
Some mdf cut for a pressure board

An old drum to take the apple cake
What does an old drum mean?

I took it to mean a 'bang bang' type drum. I assume it is a wooden with
the
skin taken off.

If it is metal I guess the joker would've been aware of rust etc.

I am using a plastic bucket.

rob

OK, I just wanted to voice my concerns.
The plastic bucket, is it food grade plastic? It is probably more of a
concern for fermenters, but you may want to consider it.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Yes. Its HDPE which is a recyclable 2. That was free. My press plates are
also food grade, being 2 old plastic chopping boards that I got from
second hand shops for 50c each and cut down. My 'turkey baking tray' is a
food grade steel waiters tray that I also got for 50c.

I put you guys crook there. It wasn't 50 cents, it was actually 20 cents.

That is about 10 cents in old US currency but probably about 50cents now,
since your dollar plunged.

rob