Old 23-03-2010, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Did a Fox do this?

"andy" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:37:10 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"andy" wrote in message
. ..
Found the remains of a pidgeon near my pond this morning - hardly any
of the carcass left just a load of feathers. We have a small garden
surrounded by others but it is enclosed by 6ft fences ( to deter cats
)
I am sure a cat wouldn't / couldn't have done this so possibly a fox ?
Don't know how it got in garden tho and it's pretty well built up
around where I live ....... V Strange !

Sparrow Hawk or such bird.

Mike

Also wondered what a pidgeon was doing around my pond at night surely
it would be roosting high up ?

More than likely took it to ground to devour it. I have seen Sparrow Hawks
take a bird in flight and go to ground level.

On one occasion I wish I had a high speed camera and reflexes to go with it,
as a Sparrow Hawk took a Sparrow from under my veranda and flew off to the
right not 6 feet away. Happened in a flash!!

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk