Old 25-03-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default should I cover seeds on cold nights?

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:34:59 GMT, wrote:

The directions on my little finger carrot seed pack say seeds can be planted
"as soon as soil can be worked"
weather forecast is for 20 degree temp at night next couple of days.....do I
need to cover? if so with what?

Also planted some onion and shallot sets.......will they be ok?
Any advise appreciated.

I haven't had problems with carrots and cold. If your soil has allot
of clay and forms a crust before they come up that can hurt. I cover
the seed in my garden with sifted compost. I plant shallots in Ohio
in fall and they do fine through the winter but the onions might not
like to be frozen solid which I'd guess could happen if they are
planted shallow.