Old 25-03-2010, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
noel888 noel888 is offline

Default Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae

On Mar 24, 12:51*pm, cj wrote:
hello, i am considering buying some of these plants and am wondering if
they really grow as fast as advertised. i live in s.e. michigan and will
be planting in a more shady than not area. *also, can anyone suggest a
similar fast growing evergreen?

thanks, cj

Yes, they do grow fast here in the Atlantic states NY. I never
watered it, let nature tend to it and on occasion prune it. Pruning is
a very delicate situation with Arborvitae's , you prune the outer
leaves and exposes the rotten insides, which leaves you to believe
that its dying...its not dying...Now, last Fall i pruned all of the
greenery on mine and what was left was the 'rotted' look of the
insides. It had to be pruned cause it was getting taller and fuller.
Somehow I got the feeling as I look at it to see if some new growth is
forthcoming and i see nothing. I even scraped some of the limbs to see
if there is any green showing, which is a good sign of life...i've
seen none...wondering if anyone else knows that i killed this plant by
completely pruning off all its greenery last year.