Old 25-03-2010, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID help

In message , David E.
Ross writes
On 3/25/10 12:46 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

If #4 is not a hibiscus, it is still a mallow. Mallows include
hibiscus, blue hibiscus, okra, Lavatera, and hollyhock.

Not Lavatera; not hollyhock, both of which have filiform stigmas (and
more than 5 style arms). Not Alygoyne (blue hibiscus) (wrong colour). It
would be something in tribe Hibisceae, and probably not one of the
schizocarpic fruited genera (e.g. Malvaviscus, Pavonia), which have 10
style arms. Not Abelmoschus (okra) (foliage wrong).

It doesn't look that far off Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (leaf shape and
androecial structure seem to match).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley