Old 26-03-2010, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
cj cj is offline

Default Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae

Fran wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:51:55 -0400, cj wrote:

hello, i am considering buying some of these plants and am wondering if
they really grow as fast as advertised. i live in s.e. michigan and will
be planting in a more shady than not area. also, can anyone suggest a
similar fast growing evergreen?

thanks, cj

I have 5 planted in a row in heavy clay and full sun. Took them a
couple of years to get going, and are now about 7 yrs old, and 12 '
high. I do not water them or trim them as I want a screen. They are
very hardy, and can get to 60' tall (more like 30-40' in clay). Do
you really want a tree that can get to the height of a 6-story
building?

i am more interested in a fast growing evergreen than height it grows to.
cj