Old 26-03-2010, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marq Marq is offline

Default Tomato support ideas?

"Suzanne D." wrote in
:

This year I plan to have over 250 tomato plants. I have made lots of
raised beds, 3X6 feet. Last year I put groups of two plants every 2
feet (12 to a bed) so that two plants could share a single cage and a
single drip emitter. This year I think I will stagger them in a
zig-zag every foot, to get more in each bed, two rows to a bed,
watered down the middle of each row with one of those 1/4" tubes with
holes punched every 6 inches.

Does anyone have any creative and not-too-difficult idea for how to
support these plants? Would some structure down the center of the bed
work, or should I put something on the outsides of the beds, or use
individual cages spaced every few feet and let the tomatoes just find
them? I obviously don't want to purchase 250 cages, but I also don't
want these plants trailing all over the ground. (Last year my
tomatoes got up to about ten feet.)

Any interesting suggestions will be appreciated.
--S.

My Dad used this based on the idea YEARS ago,

http://www.ehow.com/how_4905570_toma...materials.html

Hope this helps, but with 250 you need to be nuts about toms.(as I am)

Will you let me know your eventual solution please?
I grow about 40 plants each year and never have enough tomatoes and also
don't have enough time or room to experiment.

Marq