Old 27-03-2010, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~Brian~ ~Brian~ is offline

Default Tomato Seedlings Thin and Spindly

JMS wrote:
Grown in a tray on a window sill - they are much thinner than normal.
(They germinated very quickly within 7 days 23 out of 25 were through
and about 2cms high) - no under"floor" heating.

I saw on a programme tonight on TV the gardener was stroking the
seedlings to simulate wind movement - and thicken up stems

Is it worth doing?

I assume that when I pot on if I bury most of the stem, then it's
spindliness won't matter anyway?

A few years ago I tried several seeds on a windowsil, needless to say they
were all a bit spindly and sickly. Dont get any of that now, I use a 5 Tier
mini growhouse with much success. Have only had 3 seed failures in 3 years,
and all the seedlings have been robust and very healthy.