Old 27-03-2010, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹° ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹° is offline

Default Tomato Seedlings Thin and Spindly

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:36:04 +0000, JMS
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:19:47 -0000, "~Brian~"
wrote:

JMS wrote:
Grown in a tray on a window sill - they are much thinner than normal.
(They germinated very quickly within 7 days 23 out of 25 were through
and about 2cms high) - no under"floor" heating.

I saw on a programme tonight on TV the gardener was stroking the
seedlings to simulate wind movement - and thicken up stems

Is it worth doing?

I assume that when I pot on if I bury most of the stem, then it's
spindliness won't matter anyway?

A few years ago I tried several seeds on a windowsil, needless to say they
were all a bit spindly and sickly. Dont get any of that now, I use a 5 Tier
mini growhouse with much success. Have only had 3 seed failures in 3 years,
and all the seedlings have been robust and very healthy.

I wonder what it is that actually makes the difference?

Any ideas anyone?

I am convinced that the difference between weak/spindly
and shorter/green/vigorous is down to light levels,

I grow mine on a low conservatory shelf as far as possible in full
sunlight, the covers come off of the unheated incubation trays as soon
as the seeds show. It they're in reduced light for even a 24 hours
they will grow too tall and weak. The mantra for me is as much
light as possible, as soon as possible. As soon as they have a
fully formed pair of first seedling leaves, I transplant into small
individual pots, and as deep as possible, roots right down to the base
of the pot and buried so that just the top of the seedling is showing.
Full light again and at all times. Works for me.

The conservatory is virtually part of the house, has its own heating
(rarely used) and runs @ about 70°C most days.

--

--