Old 27-03-2010, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Is my bay tree past helping?

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 06:24:01 -0400, lilypools
wrote:

Hi,I live in East Yorkshire, between Hull and York and I have a bay tree
in my front small garden which is about 10ft high and 10 years old
(since it was planted in my garden). I had been planning on having it
trimmed back this year but over the winter it appears to have died. The
leaves are mostly still in place but all dried up and I cannot see any
signs of budding. I have another shrub next to it, not sure what it is,
that is suffering the same. Next door has a smaller bay tree which
looks totally healthy. Do you think it is a lost cause or does anyone
have any suggestions as the best way to proceed to try to save both
plants? Thanks

If nearly all of the leaves are dried up. shriveled and lifeless, I
regret that is an ex-tree. Surprising really, mine is of similar
size and vintage and they do seem to survive very cold winters really
well. Condolences, time to start again?
But don't be too quick to dig it out. It's worth watering around the
base . Bays sucker quite freely and you may be lucky enough to get a
little selection which could be taken off with roots attached and
potted on.

Yes, it does sound like it has deceased - what a pity. I do agree with
persevering to try and get it to sucker, it's worth a go.
I got my bay from a sucker off my aunt's tree, it's now two years old, 2
ft high, still in a big pot and I protect it with my life (almost) from
frost because it's so young.
I did think big bay trees like the one the OP describes might cope, but we
have had the worst winter in 30 years, after all. It might depend on how
exposed it is, the neighbours surviving tree might be more sheltered?
My aunt's tree is OK, sheltered by a fence - the worse temps we had here in
Leics were -12c which is a big ask for a bay and I know it was even lower
elsewhere.
Tina