Old 27-03-2010, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default pumpkins: varieties & tips for a first attempt?

On 2010-03-20, someone wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
I'd like to try to grow some pumpkins this year, but I haven't tried
it before.

Can anyone recommend orange varieties that have a good success rate?
(I'd rather get several decent pumpkins than go for size.) I'd
appreciate any other tips.

Depends what you want them for. If for Hallowe'en, Baby Moon was quite
good. Pumpkins in general are quite watery, but OK for pies and cakes if
you cook them and squeeze the water out. I still have a couple left from
last year, but they're not good keepers and are starting to think about
rotting.

Bob H. is right that a harder-fleshed winter squash like butternut is much
better for eating. If you want a red one, go for uchiki-kuri, an orange
onion-shaped squash about 3 lbs in weight. Or you might like to try the
steel-grey Crown Prince, which can weigh about 10 lbs. We grew about 40
lbs of them last year.

Sorry, I got diverted: orange pumpkins - Connecticut Field, Atlantic Giant,
Spooky.

Aldi or Lidl often have good pumpkin seeds that are quite inexpensive. At
the risk of being accused of promoting a company, nevertheless I have to say
that Simpsons Seeds near Longleat have a good selection of both pumpkin and
squash seeds and we have had lots of success with them.

Interesting, thanks.