Old 28-03-2010, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Plant ID help

Don Wiss said:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, mleblanca wrote:

On Mar 25, 1:46 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this

batch is
not yet merged into myhttp://foragingpictures.com/album. Before I

can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown

at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

It might help to know where you saw these plants: country, state etc.

Yea, I should have made that clearer. Wildman Steve Brill only gives tours
in the NYC area. These are from Prospect Park. And the date is in the URL,
which means these were taken on July 1st.

Perhaps if you repost the images around that time it will help (especially with
#1).

I think that the pokeweed and Hibiscus IDs are reliable.

The first one hasn't been IDed properly yet, and the other one with
pinnately compound leaves is that is not slippery elm (and not a sumac,
either, in my opinion) remained to be IDed.

I'm thinking that one is not a woody plant at all, but rather an herb.
Possibly even something like tickseed sunflower -- a common name for
several species of large Bidens -- too bad we have no sign of flowers or
even buds. (But this is a rather wild guess...)

Were these plants all supposed to be edible or in some other way useful?

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored