Old 28-03-2010, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is my bay tree past helping?

In article ,
sutartsorric wrote:

I didnt know that either. My bay has survived the winter despite being
in a large pot and next to the shed facing northeast, with night
temperatures as low as minus 10C in January. A few lower leaves are
yellow, but the rest look ok. It had no protection throughout the
winter, so maybe I have just been very lucky.

They aren't as tender as all that - mild frosts, like the occasional
drop to -10 Celsius, aren't a problem. Below that, they start to
lose leaves; below about -15, all their top growth will die. As
usual, that is very rough, as it depends on the other conditions
(duration, wind, damp/dry, timing etc.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.