Old 28-03-2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Plant ID help

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:30:56 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Don Wiss said:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

Yea, I should have made that clearer. Wildman Steve Brill only gives tours
in the NYC area. These are from Prospect Park. And the date is in the URL,
which means these were taken on July 1st.

I think that the pokeweed and Hibiscus IDs are reliable.

Yes. You can see a pokeweed in the same park at about the same time he
http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Pokeweed/h0010.htm

The first one hasn't been IDed properly yet,

I thought the first one was one of the mustard family. Now I have taken
many pictures of his tours in Prospect Park. There is no plant here that he
hasn't pointed out on one of his prior tours and is already in
foragingpictures.com. The Hibiscus I just took on my own, as it was a
pretty flower.

and the other one with
pinnately compound leaves is that is not slippery elm (and not a sumac,
either, in my opinion) remained to be IDed.

I'm thinking that one is not a woody plant at all, but rather an herb.
Possibly even something like tickseed sunflower -- a common name for
several species of large Bidens -- too bad we have no sign of flowers or
even buds. (But this is a rather wild guess...)

Tickseed sunflower or large Bidens have never been pointed out on a tour of
his.

Were these plants all supposed to be edible or in some other way useful?

Yes, or poisonous and he's pointing them out to avoid them. Like he loves
to hold white snakeroot and give the story of Lincoln's mother dying of
milk from a cow that ate the plant. And why people had to fence their
pastures to keep the cows out of the woods.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).