Old 28-03-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Default safe Horse Manure

markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe, well
rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I need a
few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and roses.

Aminopyralid is an herbicide against broadleaf plants that is widely
used on grazing pastures and grass hay fields. To minimize the risk of
aminopyralid contamination in animal manure, you could seek out farms
that (a) grow their own grass hay and do not use aminopyralid on their
fields or (b) feed alfalfa aka lucerne grass. Alfalfa is a broadleaf
legume, not a monocot grass.

For addition to a compost pile in spring to start the pile cooking, you
should be using fresh ("green") manure and urine-soaked bedding. Well
rotted manure will have lost most of its nitrogen.

Once you have located a source of manure, getting it delivered should
be as simple as calling up a local handyman who does yard work.

Let us know how you make out.

Una