Old 28-03-2010, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Black plastic covering

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

I plan to use black plastic covering for my peppers this summer in zone 5 .
How do i do it . How does it get watered and fertilized.

That is one hell of a good question. The answer to the watering, I
presume, is drip irrigation under the plastic. Alternatively, you could
leave a small spot uncovered where you could add water, and ORGANIC fish
emulsion.

As for the fertilizer, prep in advance.
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Research/chili.html
Chicken manure (three to four tons per acre) is custom applied a week or
more prior to listing.
1 acre = 43,560 sq. ft.
100 sq.ft. = 0.0022956841 acre.
8,000#/acre = 18.37#chicken manure/100 sq.ft.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en...tables/peppers.
html
When should you fertilize your peppers? Take your choice -- either
before planting or throughout the growing season.
---
During the season, since side dressing is out, use ORGANIC fish emulsion.
---
Avoid chemical fertilizers that can kill off soil microbes that feed
your plants. Chemical fertilizers are salts.
-----
Don't fertilize and water blindly--if your plants look healthy enough,
let them be, lest they ignore fruiting for vegetative growth. (Another
good reason to leave a opening in the plastic is to be able to gauge if
the soil is dry to a depth of 1".)

http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm (for other manures)
Manure Alfalfa Fish Emulsion
N 3 5
P 1 1
K 2 1

Bell peppers typically produce 7 to 10 peppers a plant, hot peppers
more. When to harvest: on the one hand, leaving peppers on the vine till
they're completely ripe somewhat reduces the total productivity of the
plant; on the other hand, immature peppers are notably less sweet.

Let them ripen on the vine. We're not commercial growers: if you want
more peppers than your plants produce with the fruits left to fully
ripen, grow more plants next season.

Peppers are usually picked when they've stopped increasing in size, are
firm to the touch, /and have reached their expected color/. Don't pull
peppers, because the plant's branches are rather brittle and you can
break them that way: harvest by cutting the peppers off.

Oddly, clear plastic warms the soil better than black plastic.

Buona fortuna!