Old 28-03-2010, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Black plastic covering

On Mar 28, 1:40*pm, "Andy Petro" wrote:
I plan to use black plastic covering for my peppers this summer *in zone 5 .
How do i do it . How does it get watered and fertilized.

My wife uses that and builds what she calls "barrows." These are long
ridges about 2 feet wide and a foot high built of dirt and compost
over a base of vegetable matter like hay and manure. She runs the
black plastic strips between the barrows so that she only has to weed
the barrow, not the rows between.

Depending on the size of your garden, you may consider covering with
the black plastic and cutting holes through it where you want to plant
your peppers. Till the soil under the holes, add some compost or
whatever, and plant your peppers. You'll only have to weed the small
area right around the pepper.

Paul