Old 28-03-2010, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a clemaitis

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:13:28 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

Hum. If the rooting-through is fairly recent, you should be able to
loosen the roots with a fork and pull the whole lot up.

Whether you could then ease the roots through the holes in the bottom of
the pot is less likely to be easy/possible.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Yes. IME clematis clings on to life rather tenaciously. However, just
for the sake of belt and braces, cut some old wood into lengths of 2
nodes - ====O===========O==== like that, and bury them horizontally in a
couple of inches of soil, in a damp place, or somewhere where you won't
forget to keep them watered.

You *SHOULD* get a new vine growing from each node.

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

I fear you might have to break the pot - or plant a cutting as described
above, and trim the roots off the bottom of the pot. You can then keep
the original vine potted, or turn it out of the pot and hope you haven't
cut off too much root.

Thanks for that idea Rusty. I've tried and failed so many times with
clematis cuttings but not cirrhosa, or the method you suggest.
I think I must try to get as much root up as possible and maybe
sacrifice the pot, which is only a cheap one.
Ta

Pam in Bristol