Old 28-03-2010, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Lilies

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]

I've long ago lost my little roll of indicator paper: has anybody
tried and tested the rule-of-thumb way of making soft water for
lime-hating plants? I mean, half a pint of vinegar to a gallon of
hard water. I'm nervous about trying it, as I don't know how hard
their "hard" is.

You should be able to get reels of pH indicator paper (not litmus...)
from places like Boot's.

Well, certainly. But the point here is that ICBA, and hope somebody else
has done it already.

And I'm dubious about Crusty's advice: I've always assumed that
lilies want a nice polite leaf-mould, not a bucolic load of dung.
And even if they do like some muck, they'd certainly want it very
well composted.

Most lilies IME are thankful for what they're given.

What? Yer actual lily-type lilies, not your not-significantly-related
day ones?

--
Mike.