Old 29-03-2010, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default safe Horse Manure

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe,
well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I
need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and
roses. Thanks for your help.

I cannot assist with specific advice as I am not in the UK. I suggest
that you contact stables and horse studs in your area. It may not be
rotted as that requires storing large quantities and horse places often
aim to get rid of it quickly. You may also be offered used stall bedding
which is straw with manure and urine.

I am curious about the way that horse manure might be unsafe. What do you
think could be wrong with it?

The UK has a problem with a aminopyralid residues in manures. Apparently if
you spread manure which has come from animals fed on pastures where this
product has been used, you can kill your plants.