Old 29-03-2010, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default safe Horse Manure

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe,
well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I
need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and
roses. Thanks for your help.

I cannot assist with specific advice as I am not in the UK. I
suggest that you contact stables and horse studs in your area. It
may not be rotted as that requires storing large quantities and
horse places often aim to get rid of it quickly. You may also be
offered used stall bedding which is straw with manure and urine.

I am curious about the way that horse manure might be unsafe. What
do you think could be wrong with it?

David

There was a problem with an herbicide in the horse manure a couple of
years ago.

Is this aminopyralid? Does it actually go through horses and remain
active?

Supposedly. But it could be a case like the American bee keepers who blamed
Australian imported bees for CCD.