Old 29-03-2010, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a clemaitis

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

Possibly you could just decide to sacrifice the current flowers and cut the
clematis right back.
You could then remove the roots below the pot, remove the clematis from the
pot and replant.
Without the drain of a lot of foliage it should soon recover and flourish in
the new location.
Even transplanting with all the roots if you sacrifice the pot is likely to
set it back quite a bit so I would expect you to reduce the foliage
significantly.