Old 29-03-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please :-)

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-03-29 14:07:44 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

We have some bulbs in the back garden (quite prolific) which produce
leaves just like a daffodil but the flowers are tiny and more like
lily of the valley.
Generally three small white flowers per stem with six or seven green
tipped petals.
No scent.
They are O.K. (I suppose) and seem to have produced a bit more
flower this year after being disturbed.
However the ratio between flower and foliage is not particularly
impressive compared to tulips, daffs et al.
I can see that they might be attractive in a woodland setting but
they seem to take up a lot of space and produce a lot of green just to
produce a few tiny flowers.
You can guess that they might be not long for this garden.
Cheers
Dave R

Scilla tubergiana aka squills?

Green tipped petals is of course a distinguishing mark for Galanthus
(snowdrop) and Leucojum (snowflake).

The correct botanical name for Scilla tubergeniana is apparrently Scilla
mischtshenkoana. There's no green in the flowers (white with out without
a blue rib). Some of the Ornithogalums do however have green stripes on
the flowers.

While I hesitate to suggest that someone doesn't recognise snowdrops,
that does seem as likely an identification as any, depending on where he
is (up here Galanthus is now finished, as are Crocus tomasinanus. Crocus
vernus and the yellow crocus are still flowering, and Narcissus have
just started. I've seen a Scilla (perhaps siberica) and possibly some
Chionodoxas and Puschkinias in gardens.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley