Old 29-03-2010, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please :-)

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-03-29 15:48:06 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-03-29 14:07:44 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

We have some bulbs in the back garden (quite prolific) which
produce leaves just like a daffodil but the flowers are tiny and
more like lily of the valley.
Generally three small white flowers per stem with six or seven
green tipped petals.
No scent.
They are O.K. (I suppose) and seem to have produced a bit more
flower this year after being disturbed.
However the ratio between flower and foliage is not particularly
impressive compared to tulips, daffs et al.
I can see that they might be attractive in a woodland setting but
they seem to take up a lot of space and produce a lot of green just
to produce a few tiny flowers.
You can guess that they might be not long for this garden.
Cheers
Dave R
Scilla tubergiana aka squills?

Green tipped petals is of course a distinguishing mark for Galanthus
(snowdrop) and Leucojum (snowflake).
snip

Leucojum - could well be. I don't know of a snowdrop with daffodil
type leaves? All snowdrops have gone from here, too.

The problem is guessing what "daffodil-type leaves" means. I've never
thought of Leucojum looking like those of Narcissus (Leucojum wagneri is
not a bad ringer for a snowdrop).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley