Old 30-03-2010, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fig tree hit by frost

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
How would you treat a fig tree that has lost most of the figs due to
frost/the cold? The tree is about 5 years old and about 6 foot tall,
against a house wall. Not fan trained.

As the saying goes, they do, dearie, they do. I have never had any
figs overwinter, so the second crop is the first. That's normal
in most parts of the UK. Otherwise, do nothing except prune out
any dead wood and tidy up. They are very tough, and can be cut
back to the base if necessary.

I've never grown figs so i am not sure of how to go about tackling it.
Like wise some books say figs can harm foundations (house is about mid
19th century) others say it is fine left there.

Dunno, but I have seen established ones next to several old houses.
They certainly aren't as bad as some things, but I don't know if
they are safe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.