Old 31-03-2010, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jimnginger jimnginger is offline

Default Pea & Bean Booster

On Mar 22, 11:20*am, geowicz
wrote:
Have got a couple of packets to try. Its organic, a live culture of
harmless bacteria. You coat the seeds with this powder prior to
planting. What it claims to do, is fix the nitrogen in the plant to
produce better and bigger pods. Has anyone used this before and with
what results?

Up in the far north, we need all the help we can get!

--
geowicz

I use this every year with my beans, peas, etc.
In tests, it increases yield by 30% over using untreated seeds.
One warning is that they are bacteria and are subject to dying. While
it takes only a small amount to treat your beans, I keep mine in the
fridge when not using and I replace it EVERY year.
Pinetree Gardens in New England sells it in small packages as does
Bountiful Gardens in Willits California.
Every commercial farmer who grows legumes knows to inoculate the seeds
for maximum yield. I only have very limited room and always throw a
bunch away but it is still worth it to me. My pole beans produce and
produce. Rattlesnake green beans (from Pinetree for warm climates
produced so many in six cat litter buckets filled with potting soil
that I was able to can 16 pints of green beans over what my wife and I
were able to eat.
Definitely worth the $3.50 or so I spent for the inoculant.
Just my experience.
Jim in So Calif