Old 31-03-2010, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹° ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹° is offline

Default Tomato Seedlings Thin and Spindly

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:49:32 +0100, Donwill
wrote:

JMS wrote:
Grown in a tray on a window sill - they are much thinner than normal.
(They germinated very quickly within 7 days 23 out of 25 were through
and about 2cms high) - no under"floor" heating.

I saw on a programme tonight on TV the gardener was stroking the
seedlings to simulate wind movement - and thicken up stems

Is it worth doing?

I assume that when I pot on if I bury most of the stem, then it's
spindliness won't matter anyway?

The balance between temperature and light levels is wrong .
To achieve strong healthy plants you must either reduce the air
temperature or increase the light levels.
They are in effect "Drawn" they are reaching for the light.

I do think that tomato seeds are often germinated at too high a
temperature and kept at that temperature for too long.

I always notice that quite early in the season, tomato seeds will be
springing up all over the greenhouse soil, and they will be sturdy and
dark green, they didn't want incubating"!

--