Old 31-03-2010, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Photinia pruning

On 2010-03-31 14:17:11 +0100, Janet Baraclough
said:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

Not having much knowledge about pruning, I have just cut back my
Photinia to
about 12 inches above ground.

I should have sought guidance earlier, but do you think it will
progress
now?

You've just cut off all this year's new growth.

That sounds a bit harsh.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=145

If any of these photinias become overgrown, it is possible to
renovate by cutting back hard to a low framework and thinning out
congested shoots as they grow back.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/...g_photinia.htm

Photinia is quite quick growing once established, and may need to
be pruned back hard if growing out of control. As with most
evergreen shrubs, the best time to Prune Photinia Red Robin is at
the start of the growing season - late March/early April in UK.
It will soon re-grow, and then can be kept under control by
pruning as and when required.

Chris

The fact remains that he has got off all this year's new growth!

No, he hasn't, because at this time of year photinia has not yet
made any new growth for 2010..
The stumps will soon sprout into new red growth this year . Just
like it says in the article above.

Janet

Strange. Ours are bright red right now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

So were mine until I got cracking with the secateurs :-)

Lets see what happens.

Bill