Old 31-03-2010, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Connecting Two Water Barrels (Butts)

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I want
to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends involved) from
the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are fitted with taps, but I
would always prefer to drain the water from the lower barrel B as it is a
little more accessible. How best to connect these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to the
lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Ed

Go for option 1.

I decided to install a water butt last year and discovered that it filled up
in abut three quarters of an hour after heavy rain. When I saw it
overflowing, I decided to put another butt along side it and fed the
overflow from the top of butt "A" into the top of butt"B". Both have taps
and the system works brilliantly.. Placed butt B a few inches below Butt
"A" to make the connection easier.

Hope this helps.

Bill