Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

SMS wrote
Geoff Berrow wrote

I have had both. I prefer the Goretex lined ones. Very useful when walking through wet grass.

Wet grass?! I wouldn't hesitate to wear non-waterproof boots in wet grass, it's hiking in the rain, across streams,
and on rough trails
with a lot of puddles that you really want boots with a GoreTex (or
some other brand) of breathable membrane.

There's a good reason why most military infantry boots have a GoreTex membrane,

Like hell they do.

you don't want to deal with wet feet on a mission. I.e.
"http://marketplace.news.yahoo.net/pressrelease.aspx?id=202678". Not that hikers and backpackers have the same needs
as the military, but it makes sense to consider all the trade-offs when making a selection.

But you mindlessly proclaim that GoreTex or similar is absolutely essential.