Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Connecting Two Water Barrels (Butts)

In message , Graham Harrison
writes

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
news:1P2dnYAU6ugTHy7WnZ2dnUVZ8tKdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends
involved) from the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are
fitted with taps, but I would always prefer to drain the water from
the lower barrel B as it is a little more accessible. How best to
connect these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to
the lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Ed

The thing to remember is that the level in each barrel will be the
same.

However, in both cases, once the bottom barrel is full the top barrel
will continue to fill and because the water level is trying to be
higher than the lower barrel the lower barrel will accept the water by
overflowing.

In other words, don't do it.

Why? the water will have to overflow somewhere? If they are the same
height it will just overflow from both at the same time :-)

Having B lower isn't optimal , as you won't have two full butts, but if
it's only a bit it isn't the end of the world. B can always be raised a
bit.

Me Ilike the lazy solution of using a hose pipe as a siphon to connect
butts round the garden, as detailed a bit more in the OP's same thread
on uk-d-i-y (a case when cross posting would have been better really)
--
Chris French