Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Christopher Loffredo Christopher Loffredo is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

SMS wrote:
On 31/03/10 3:03 PM, Geoff Berrow wrote:

snip

I have had both. I prefer the Goretex lined ones. Very useful when
walking through wet grass.

Wet grass?! I wouldn't hesitate to wear non-waterproof boots in wet
grass, it's hiking in the rain, across streams, and on rough trails with
a lot of puddles that you really want boots with a GoreTex (or some
other brand) of breathable membrane.

Again you evidently have different uses for your shoes than I do.
I find wet grass has much more of a wetting potential than the
occasional (or even fairly frequent) dip into water. Then, again, I'm
often off established trails.

Again, because I'm often on the go for several days at a time, I find
quick drying more important than keeping out every last bit of moisture.

And, again, when my feet do get seriously wet, it's from water or snow
coming in through the top. Your "miracle membrane" won't stop that and
will take *much* longer to dry.

There is no one-size-fits-all. Your mindless preaching about Gore-Tex
shoes being ideal for everyone and in all situations really is becoming
ridiculous.