Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Geoff Berrow Geoff Berrow is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:44:19 -0700, SMS
wrote:

I have had both. I prefer the Goretex lined ones. Very useful when
walking through wet grass.

Wet grass?! I wouldn't hesitate to wear non-waterproof boots in wet
grass, it's hiking in the rain, across streams, and on rough trails with
a lot of puddles that you really want boots with a GoreTex (or some
other brand) of breathable membrane.

I was talking about trail shoes. I've never had boots without a
membrane and so can't tell you if they would be better or worse. I
limit my comments to situations where I have direct experience and
respect the fact that everyone's needs are different. I commend it to
you.
--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.