Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Peter Clinch Peter Clinch is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

SMS wrote:

You won't save that much money by not getting a shoe with a GoreTex (or
other breathable membrane) and you lose a huge amount of functionality.
Waterproof socks don't serve the same purpose. GoreTex socks are
expensive, and are thick (like wearing two pairs of regular socks)

(a) no they're not.
(b) again, Goretex isn't the only game in town. Sealskinz waterproof
socks, for example, are standard hiking soock thickness and I use them
in my unlined, remarkably useful, versatile and well travelled Scarpa
trail shoes interchangably with my usual wool/synthetic mix Bridgedales.
So since I have a "not thicker" example in my sock-drawer all your
other points about thickness disappear.

All the experts agree that the best option is to get a shoe that has a
breathable, waterproof membrane.

Manifestly not true. As expert's expert Chris Townsend has already
pointed out, unlined shoes are often preferable.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK