Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Cordyline Australis Problem

On 31 Mar, 23:51, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from cherryredcutie contains
these words:

Hiya,
I wonder if you could give me some advice. I have 4 Cordyline Australis'
(New Zealand Cabbage Tree) in my front garden and it looks like 3 of
them are dying .
What could have caused this? We had a lot of snow and frost in January
could that have been it even though they only just started to have this
problem about 3 weeks ago? Are the leaves going to grow back or are they
going to die? Is there anything I should do like pruning?

* *You don't say where you are or how cold it's been.. They are not
totally hardy in the coldest conditions and it's only in the last 10 or
15 years of
milder winters, that they've become so common inland in the UK. In
earlier colder years they were more or less restricted to mild coastal
areas.
I've noticed some cordyline deaths *in colder areas round here this winter.

* *It could be the long spellls of *cold or we, I see yours are close to
the road so they've had a lot of roadsalt/gritchemicals *this winter.

* *IME once the top defoliates, new leaves won't regrow from it.
However, an apparently dead cordyline will often *sprout anew
from *ground level, usually putting up multiple shoots, It can take
months or even a year before they show signs of recovery
but once they start, they grow away fast because they have a large
established root system . When you see those multi-trunked ones they
often started that way.

* * So IF the top leaves die right off I'd cut the trunks off , and
wait. and see.

* * Janet

Nothing to add but it's nice to get so much info and good pictures
with your question.
David Hill