Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

Default front lawn gardening

On Mar 6, 1:12 pm, Ohioguy wrote:
..... I'd like to have a large garden, but
the situation is that while I can do a little of this along our fence,
the best place for it in our location (due to sun, etc.) would be our
front yard.
....., I also like
plants that give me something to eat. I tend to plant raised beds and
borders with things that accomplish both.

I'm especially looking for productive vegetables that either have
striking foliage or flowers.

Eggplant and Japanese eggplants can be planted like shrubs, pretty
growth habit, striking color. A big assortment of hot peppers can be
very striking, too. Swiss chard as a border. A bed of beets can be
impressive, and the bonus is that both the beetroot and the greens are
delicious. Edible landscaping authors always mention kale for its
size and color but we don't eat kale so don't plant it.

Another thought is to plant vines that can be trailed over structures
to give them height, if that would suit the front yard design-wise..
Cucumbers and melons would work for this. -aem