Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Gordon[_5_] Gordon[_5_] is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On 31/03/2010 23:44, SMS wrote:
On 31/03/10 3:03 PM, Geoff Berrow wrote:

Wet grass?! I wouldn't hesitate to wear non-waterproof boots in wet
grass, it's hiking in the rain, across streams, and on rough trails with
a lot of puddles that you really want boots with a GoreTex (or some
other brand) of breathable membrane.

And when the water goes over the top? Not IF but WHEN?

There's a good reason why most military infantry boots have a GoreTex
membrane,

Sorry mate the military do NOT ISSUE GORETEX BOOTS TO THE vast majority
of soldiers. I don't know where you get this from but it's NOT TRUE.

I know - I'm ex Army.