Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Echinacea seed

Last autumn, with my Carol Klein hat on, I harvested a lot of Echinacea
seed from several varieties which we like. Ones such as "Fatal
Attraction", Harvest Moon", "Sundown" etc. They provide such a beautiful
splash of colour.

I'd be grateful for any advice based on members' experience on the best
way to germinate these seeds. There is a lot of conflicting information
on the Internet - much of it US based probably because coneflowers like
Echinacea are native to N. America. As recommended somewhere, I have
sown a few seeds in a heated propagator in the greenhouse which gets
loads of sunlight. This was 2-3 weeks ago - so far not a sign of life.
The seeds were properly collected, dried and stored, I believe.

Any thoughts, tips or advice would be very welcome.... apart from
learning to be patient:-)

Many thanks.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!