Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Tom Crispin Tom Crispin is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:06:41 +0100, Geoff Berrow
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:44:19 -0700, SMS
wrote:

I have had both. I prefer the Goretex lined ones. Very useful when
walking through wet grass.

Wet grass?! I wouldn't hesitate to wear non-waterproof boots in wet
grass, it's hiking in the rain, across streams, and on rough trails with
a lot of puddles that you really want boots with a GoreTex (or some
other brand) of breathable membrane.

I was talking about trail shoes. I've never had boots without a
membrane and so can't tell you if they would be better or worse. I
limit my comments to situations where I have direct experience and
respect the fact that everyone's needs are different. I commend it to
you.

I have worn and tried many different types of boots, socks,
overtrouser and gaiter combinations over the years.

The very worst option is shorts and sealskinz socks in heavy rain.
Water runs down the legs and into the socks where it cannot escape.
Toes end up like prunes.

Waterproof trousers over gaiters is probably the best option in heavy
rain, but in snow the gaiters should be worn over the waterproof
trousers where there is a risk of a self-stabbing by crampon;
hopefully the tough fabric of the gaiter will prevent damage to
expensive waterproof trousers.