Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Gordon wrote
SMS wrote
Geoff Berrow wrote

Wet grass?! I wouldn't hesitate to wear non-waterproof boots in wet grass, it's hiking in the rain, across streams,
and on rough trails with a lot of puddles that you really want boots with a GoreTex (or some other brand) of
breathable membrane.

And when the water goes over the top? Not IF but WHEN?

I havent had any water come in over the top in 50 years.

And I dont wear the longer boots either.

There's a good reason why most military infantry boots have a GoreTex membrane,

Sorry mate the military do NOT ISSUE GORETEX BOOTS TO THE vast
majority of soldiers. I don't know where you get this from but it's NOT TRUE.

I know - I'm ex Army.